
Another gem of the 80s...
I have only been at my school here in Germany for two days but I already love it. Yesterday was much more of an informative day than anything else. I was first taken to the building for grades 9-12 in East-Eilenburg where I met the language department director, Steffi G. I sat down with her and my mentor teacher, Rita, and worked on a schedule for the next two weeks where I'll just be sitting in on various English classes at all different levels, to kind of get a handle on the kids and their English capabilities. I met a bunch of the teachers, but there are almost 100 of them, so my main concern is to get to know the English teachers.
One of the coolest parts of the last two days has been (get ready for another lame Julia-moment) GETTING TO SIT BEHIND THE STAFFROOM DOOR. It was always that mysterious area that we were never even allowed to glimpse as young students at Niverville Collegiate and whenever I had to knock on the door to ask for a teacher I would crane my neck to try to catch a peek. Maybe it's only exciting to me, but I actually have keys to both of the school buildings! I may be completely outing my utterly geeky keener-hood, but I think it's cool. Oh, and I even registered at the city library yesterday, which is right near the school with the grades 5-8. That was the second-most exciting part of my day. Ok, I think if I hadn't completely laid my dorkiness on the table 2 sentences ago, it's all out now. Seriously, tho. I already took out a bunch of books and am half-way through one. Plus they have an English section, too! I could live in that building.
But back to the cool me.
So today was my first real day IN the classroom. I was in two 6th-grade classes, a 7th-grade class, and a 5th-grade class. It was really fun. All the teachers started off by letting the students ask me any questions they wanted. I had a lot of fun and I really enjoyed interacting with the students. I wasn't nervous at all. I felt completely comfortable, which was a major relief. The 7th-grade class was slightly .... PSYCHOTIC. But strangely enough it didn't bother me. I don't find it nearly as annoying as I thought I would. Maybe cuz I'm not in any way intimidated by them, which is what I was starting to fear. In the past 6 weeks every single person I've come across has been like, "why would you want to be a teacher? Have you met German students lately?" But I didn't find any of these students to be much different than we were 10 years ago. Again, these are all first impressions, but in general I think most of these kids have good hearts. And I strongly believe that as a teacher it is vital to maintain that point of view. Or you'll just go under in a dark and dismal spiral combo of depression and sleeping pills. Haha. But I really hit it off with most of the kids. Although it was a little odd when a girl in the 7th grade class asked me if I'd ever been drunk before. Thankfully the teacher jumped in at that point. :)
So I'm back at the school for the younger kids tomorrow and then on Thursday will be my first day in the "older kids" school. I'm curious to see how that's going to be. I'm excited. And then Friday is my day off! I get a day off every week, but I requested Mondays, so starting two weeks from now I'll have every Monday off. Long weekends! Yay.
I'm basically a spoiled brat...
Get over it.
xoxo

5 comments:
I totally get your excitement about being in the staff room...they're probably too cool to say it, but every student totally envies you right now.
And YAY! A hot guy teacher... looks like everything is falling into place perfectly ;)
Love ya!
I'm going to fly over there and punch you if you hook up with a guy! Actually, I won't. I'll only do it if you decide he is more important than returning home (you can bring him with you!). Anywho, do you have to 'dress up' for school?
agreeing with your "point of view" theory on teachers.
and yes, you never forget your teachers; the good, the bad, and the ugly.
oh geez. i'm not hooking up with a teacher. lol. judging by his looks and personality he's probably almost engaged or something. and jordan, i actually don't know yet what his first name is. i can only remember his last name right now. i'll have to let you know later.
no worries bri, if i did meet someone, which i won't, i would bring him over. everyone here has been telling me that canada is their "dreamland" anyways. literally everyone. so no worries.
i hear ya on the preasures of "teachering". being a mommy is kinda like being a teacher. in some ways. all these things to teach them. somedays it gets a little daunting.
have an awesome day you awesome woman you.
Post a Comment