Don't know why I'm asking that, seeing as how you obviously have no clue what I was up to! Let's remedy that, shall we? Well, I had nothing up this weekend. Figured, "it's only my second weekend here, I don't know many people yet, I'll just take it easy, read lots, cook something nice, whatevs." Well, I ended up calling one of the ladies I had met on Tuesday at the Bible study I mentioned earlier, named Karin. I was going to ask her whether she would mind taking me to her church in Leipzig on Sunday. It turns out she had tried calling me just a little while earlier (but my phone isn't connected yet...only Monday) to invite me to her church for today (Saturday). They had an all-day seminar kind of thing with guest speakers and stuff...plus free lunch...I'M POOR (by choice...need travel money)...FREE ANYTHING ROCKS. So I figured, heck, why not? I want to get to know their church and some Christian young people. May as well start as soon as possible. Plus I'll save on my heating bill! (Whenever I leave my apartment I turn my heaters pretty much right off. :) repeat: travel money...) I was super excited to have something to do today. And it was fantastic. I had such a good time. And they sang the same worship songs we have at home, only in German! But they always had the english text underneath, so I got to taste a little bit of home again. I can't stress this enough: It was just such an enjoyable day. I feel like I haven't talked to other Christians in forever! Plus I met the "youth leader", Daivd, (youth here means anyone under 30-ish) and am looking forward to Friday nights when they (the youth...duh) get together...
And let me just quickly say to everyone at home (if you attend a church regularly): when you see a new face, go to them and introduce yourself. Tell them about your church. Invite them over for lunch. Get to know them; be intentional, be genuinely interested. I have been introduced to and welcomed by so many incredible people here in Germany and I finally understand the value of taking that step. It will make all the difference. It will show that person that they've really entered a caring NON-PHONY environment. Basically, it will make them want to stay. I will never take that for granted ever again! (I hope...)
Anyways, after the day was over (it went from 10am-5pm) Karin asked me if I'd like to see the city a little bit...of course I said yes! We walked around, checked out the big Augustusplatz, climbed a huge tower to look across the city, bought some kind of traditional pizza pretzel, had a drink at an outdoor Italian cafe, found an ice cream stand (YUM), and then, the actual reason I immediately sat down to blog when I got home....we were on our way back to the church (where Karin's car was parked) when we walked past a crowd surrounding a street musician. I was like "hm, he has a good voice." And Karin read the poster he had put up with his name on it and suddenly she said "Jimmy Kelly....isn't he from the Kelly Family?" I was like "OF COURSE! I KNEW I RECOGNIZED THAT VOICE!" You remember when I blogged about them right? My favourite band when I was a kid in Germany?
I mean, how freaking funny is that? Ok, so it's only cool to me. But seriously, I would have died on the spot if I had gotten to stand 10 feet away from a Kelly Family member as a kid. I mean, I was standing right in front of him! He looked right at me.
Seriously, I would have fainted if this had happened when I was still in love with them. I had to laugh. What are the chances?It's incredible how fast everything here has become familiar. I no longer feel like I'm trespassing when I walk into my apartment. :P I've arranged things the way I want them, I got some sweet posters for free in Leipzig today to put up, I've cooked several meals and have gotten into some kind of general routine. I even cleaned my bathroom yesterday. (Aren't you proud, mom?) I know where to find the things I want in the grocery store. I have a bank account (with money in it! woohoo. bonus.). I never in a million besquillion years thought I would feel so at home here so quickly. Never. I'm speechless. Well, figuratively speaking...obviously.
On a completely unrelated note...I crave pickles every night. Should I be worried?
Thankfully a jar of pickles was one of the first things I bought in Eilenburg...hence craving satisfied on nightly basis...
Ok, I'm so tired and feel like my brain is about to explode all over my computer...like someone spiked my tea or something...mmm, tea...but then again I think that that probably came out in my writing....as I've mentioned in earlier posts...it's another verbal diarrhea blog today. I haven't even been home one evening all week (except for yesterday)! Who would have guessed there'd be so much to do in a strange city where I don't know anyone?

8 comments:
that's really cool julia. your blog really encouraged me today. i especially liked the reminder to get off my butt and be friendly to people who are new to a community. hmm...that's good.
and just thinking about your little home makes me smile:)
i'm glad you're feeling so at home. i was thinking about you today and wondering how everything was going. it's also good that you feel 'at home' in your apartment, it's important to have a place like that. love ya.
that is sooo great julia.
it sounds like God is giving you family out there. psalm 86v6 xo
You mentioned cooking twice in this blog . . . I've finished my "Craig & Rebekah's Favourites" recipe books (savory and sweet). I thought you said at one point you might like to have them . . . there will likely be lots of recipes you'll probably ignore but you're welcome to the books. Let me know . . . I can e-mail them to you (and I won't be insulted if you don't want them ;-)
Love U!!
of course i want them! but didn't you already give your recipes to me?
Is that that group that sings "Fell in Love with an Alien"??
I totally would have fainted!
Best song ever. Hands DOWN!
:D
yep, that's the group!!! awesome, hey? i'm glad at least someone here understands my enthusiasm...
Like Steph, I too was encouraged by your blog. I read it just before I went to church and a whole bunch of Prov students showed up at church but, oddly enough, I only knew one of them (I think they were mostly fine arts students so maybe I never have classes with them) but I remembered your blog (WWJD - what would Julia do?) so I went up to them and we ended up having a great conversation. I'm also glad to hear you found a church to go to, that's sometimes a hard thing to do right away.
Post a Comment