currently listening to MuteMath's new CD "Armistice"


Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Strange. Period.

I rented "Natural Born Killers". Basically a not-as-good version of "True Romance". Mass murderer freak couple without the cute funny factor. Plus Christian Slater is just waaaaay cuter than Woody Harrelson. A day I thought would never come: my first Quentin Tarantino disappointment.



And I rented "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". Just finished it. I'm so confused. Was there a point? Or does just watching a movie with that much drug content make you high? Cuz I feel like I'm not sure what just happened in the last 2 hours... I don't understand how watching Johnny Depp stumble around Las Vegas hotels in the most bow-legged gait I have EVER seen (wearing waders), narrating a story-less story while Benicio Del Toro throws up in the bathtub...in the toilet...in the car...and on the floor multiple times is supposed to constitute good cinema. I mean, I heard so much about this movie. It's supposed to be a cult classic. My astute theory: the person who labelled it as such forgot the definition of "classic". And did they lose the script and just decide to let the actors come up with their own random lines?


I'm all for abstract artsy movies. In fact I usually prefer them over other brainless unoriginal crap. But this one doesn't even come close to sanity in my books. It's enough to make you never wanna take drugs, that's for sure. Maybe they should start showing it in schools...

I need a nap.

l

3 comments:

Jordan said...

Have you see the Mennonite version? It's called "Natural Born Kehlers".

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

Sometimes I wonder with these so-called "classic" movies if people are just afraid to say the emperor has no clothes, so to speak. Plus, some movies have a tendency to be remembered as better than they really were. I think a big part of it is nostalgia and wishful thinking too.

JuliaD said...

i totally know what you mean! sometimes i watch a "critically acclaimed" movie and wonder whether one big critic kind of half-watched it while doing the laundry or something, decided to give it "two thumbs up" and so no one else dared to diss the movie after that. Or people think it's so "above" them that they are just not intelligent enough to get it, but they're too afraid to admit that so they just say the movie is incredible, even though it's really not intelligent at all - it's just plain crap. Either way, I think it's silly! If I think a movie is crap, I'll shout it from the mountain tops. No matter what the rest of the world thinks. I'm entitled to my cinematic opinion. :) :)

ps. good menno joke...

marklar said...

fear and loathing rules. woop!