currently listening to MuteMath's new CD "Armistice"


Friday, January 23, 2009

The Internet is my Hero

Well, it's Friday afternoon and another school week is over. Crazy. Did you know that I only have 17 more weeks left here? Of course you didn't...but now you do. 17. That just doesn't sound like much.

So not much to report. It was a full, but really good week! I taught two classes (grade 6) about Nunavut. The kids seemed to love it and the teacher (Steffi) was just thrilled! I think she had as much fun learning the few sentences in Inuktitut as the kids did! (P.S. The Internet is my hero...I didn't know much more about Nunavut than these german kids before I decided to teach a lesson on it. lol.) Anyways, it was a lot of fun and I'm going to do it with a gr. 5 class next week.

It was kind of cool cuz after class today I ended up spending about 15 minutes just talking to Steffi and another teacher before leaving for the weekend. Just talking about different challenges that teachers face and some of their stories and experiences were really interesting, especially when they got onto the topic of their first years as teachers...I now know what I can "look forward to...". I think that the best part about this year has been learning all the "behind the scenes stuff" that you will just never really understand until you're IN the situation. I consider myself really lucky to have this opportunity before I begin the education program at university. I think I have much more realistic perspectives now. Plus I'm starting to figure out what works and what doesn't. I still have such a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to go, but it no longer seems quite as daunting. In any case I at least won't be so nervous of standing in front of a class. I mean, I've dealt with grades 5 to 12 in the past 6 months, so it's been the hugest, most helpful learning curve of my life! And I've never been shy of speaking in front of a crowd. In fact, I actually really enjoy it. So I can't imagine what it would be like for those who don't...or those who are even afraid of it! Thankfully faking confidence is my area of expertise. Boo ya. Lucked out on that character flaw...

So ya, that's about it. This will be my first weekend in Eilenburg since...end of October or beginning of November. I'm actually staying home. I'm going to veg in my pajamas, watch crappy late-night movies, drink tea, eat very little because I'm avoiding grocery shopping til Monday, and finish up my Canada presentation that I'm going to be giving in about 10 million different English classes, from gr. 10-12. By the way, if you can think of cool Canadian stuff for me to include PLEASE LET ME KNOW! There's so much stuff to choose from that I get lost in all the ideas and information and find myself sitting in front of a blank Powerpoint slide. Lol. I mean, I have a whole bunch done already, but I'm struggling to find more. See, the problem is that NO ONE IN EUROPE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT CANADA. If I were from England, the States, even Australia they'd know where to "place me", but Canada is kind of like a giant question mark on their mind maps. That makes it a pretty huge assignment to "present Canada". So any cool ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Seriously.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Canada consumes the most Kraft Dinner per gallon per capita.

It is illegal to kill a sasquatch in BC and Alberta.

Pamela Anderson, John Candy, Spiderman

Anonymous said...

SEE YOU IN SEVENTEEN WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I'm running around the house shouting and laughing, just so you know... the cats think I've lost my mind)

Jordan said...

It's great to hear that you are learning lots teaching the kids, you're right, that experience will be invaluable in the future.

As for Canadian tidbits, here's what came to mind off the top of my head:

1. On Monday, January 12th, the temperature in Winnipeg was several degrees colder than both the North and South Poles (search the Free Press online for the exact temperatures).

2. The Montreal Canadiens are celebrating their 100th anniversary this month.

3. Our great and diverse Canadian music scene. (Although most of the Canadian musicians who have hit it big outside of Canada aren't always the most deserving or talented ones...)

Keanan said...

Just don't go teach at the Ebb and Flow Native Reserve in northern Manitoba if they ask you to. Some male student put Ms. Happychuk in a headlock there a few years ago. :)