currently listening to MuteMath's new CD "Armistice"


Thursday, October 2, 2008

I Proclaim Parents Day!

Yay! My best friend from the years when I lived in Germany, Elisabeth, is coming to visit me this weekend! She left for Africa (practicum) shortly before I arrived in Germany, so this will be the first time we have seen one another in 5 years! I am beyond ecstatic.


________________

But now the actual reason I wanted to blog today...

Warning: This note is meant to be facetious and ironic. Don't get your panties all twisted in a knot about my apparent ignorance! :)

I've started realizing that along with the freedoms of living alone come certain responsibilitIES. I mean, I've always known that. But here is a list of things that don't suddenly and miraculously happen on their own. Maybe one needs to rent a more expensive apartment for these things to take care of themselves??? Oh wait, I think that's called a HOTEL.



- the garbage just piles up beside my door. what? there are bins outside that I need to CARRY it out to? you've got to be kidding me...



- contrary to popular belief a microwave is not the only kitchen appliance needed in the grand world of meal preparation. In order for you to even have leftovers to heat up, you need to first make a meal "from scratch" (Julia's translation: from a box. It's just not very fun cooking for one person).



- my clothes no longer magically appear neatly folded in a basket on my bedroom floor. shocker!



- in the past, when my computer decided to be a big ole ******, I would just complain incessantly for a few days, my computer would somehow disappear into the deep dark depths of my dad's office (for what reason? i never understood...), only to suddenly reappear in perfectly restored condition. go figure!



- the bills that appear in front of my apartment door have....what? my name on them? ALL OF THEM? this must be a mistake... rent? utilities? i need a dictionary...



- fridges don't self-replenish? so when i feel hungry in the evening and stare into the yawning void that is my cupboard it's my fault?



NOTE TO ALL OF YOU MOTHERLY TYPES WITH FINGERS POISED, READY TO POUNCE UPON MY STUPIDITY: Please refer back to preceding warning about facetious...ness? and irony. What I'm trying to say is that all of this kind of only truly sinks in once you actually have to do it all yourself, no matter how much head knowledge you have beforehand.


I am proclaiming October 2nd Realizing-How-Awesome-Your-Parents-Are Day. I appreciate my mom and dad, and all that they've done for me over the past 21 years, more than ever before. (Please note that the aforementioned sarcasm does not apply to this paragraph.) Am already anticipating the day I get to fill my belly with mom's homemade spaghetti sauce. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hee hee - I so totally know EXACTLY what you mean. When you guys all moved to Germany and I moved out of Auntie Erna & Uncle Zahir's house I suddenly realized that my previous notion of how responsible and mature I was had been rather inflated and now had to be proven true. I think I wrote Mom and Dad several mushy and nauseating cards thanking them for all the stuff you mentioned in your blog...

Cassandra said...

first-crazy that we both used the phrase "panties in a knot" Maybe it's something we learned from SAC, saturdays.. haha.

second-i need to get up on the know of how you get your blog so cool. i am sure i could easily figure it out, but that's no fun.

third- i have dreaded these exact things. just imagine when... oh, i don't even know if i can say it...WE'RE the parents. .... gross.

Anonymous said...

Well as one of those "motherly types" I must say that I did not have my fingers poised to tell you how silly you were for not realizing all the things you have to do yourself when you live alone. Theoretical knowledge and practical experience are very different (even for motherly types ;-) Maybe God meant it to be that way so we'd achieve a higher level of honouring our parents. Let me tell you . . . I'd read the instructions for making tomato sauce from scratch and calculated the theoretical work, but having done it now I've certainly got a profound new respect for all the work mom put into those activities when we were kids. And on that topic, you can also come to my house to fill your belly with "mom's" homemade spaghetti sauce, 'cause it should taste the same as hers now (yeay!)