currently listening to MuteMath's new CD "Armistice"


Wednesday, March 11, 2009

TELL ME WHY!

Could someone, preferrably of the male variety, please explain to me why guys' brains are wired to think that honking at a girl will impress her; make her fall at his feet (or tires, i guess); make her feel like a treasured, intelligent, validated, and interesting human being? Do we have "honk if you think i'm pretty" stamped on our foreheads in invisible, only-readable-by-XY-chromosome-carrying-neanderthals ink???



What brought about this outburst you ask? Yesterday I was honked at twice while biking home from school. It was pouring rain. I freaking nearly fell off my bike. Both times. First of all, what about my drenched-rat-look could possibly be misconstrued as "attractive"??? As far as I'm concerned the only person who ever tolerably pulled off that look was Audrey Hepburn in "Breakfast at Tiffany's".

(I mean, did you actually LOOK at Kirsten Dunst in that whacko upside-down kissing scene in Spiderman? Not a good look.) Second of all, it's blinkin' dangerous! I nearly died. Twice. By almost swerving into traffic cuz of some stupid can't-quite-bring-myself-to-leave-puberty-behind adult morons. And thirdly it just plain old makes me self-conscious: did I lose a shoe? forget my pants? is my hair sticking straight up? is there a hole in some piece of clothing that is meant to cover something...important?



So this is my message to all the men out there: Don't honk at strange girls. First of all, it's immature. Second, it's degrading. And third, it's life-threatening.
(or at the very least don't honk at girls riding bikes.)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, this is so true. What's just as bad is the whistle or worse, randomly yelling something totally unintelligable, which is usually done AFTER you pass by. And what, do they think we're going to stop and ask them out? Give them our number? What exactly do they expect to happen? Does it make them feel brave or something? I think it's ridiculous. I know that these guys do it for all girls, it does not make me feel special or excited. It's not complimentary AT ALL. It makes me want to stop and smack them upside the head and tell them to grow up. Oh brother.

Jordan said...

When I go biking and forget my pants the cars don't even honk; the just swerve at me.

Anonymous said...

OH come on ladies!
Just enjoy being foxes and take it as a compliment! haha.
Although, when I had long hair I was cat called from a car...it was awkward and hilarious.

Unknown said...

John's story here is EXACTLY what I thought of first when I read that. Funniest. Story. Ever.

Also, I agree with all of Shelly's comments.

bria erskine said...

I totally agree Julia! I'm glad you didn't fall off of your bike and die...but I agree with the random honking men, you're hot!

Anonymous said...

I think you could pull off "drenched-rat"... lol. You can pull off anything, you lucky bum.

Anonymous said...

I don't think any of these guys actually expect you to fall at their feet, or tires for that matter, or ask them out or give them your number. They probably are actually deluded enough to believe that we find their "appreciation" of our ASSets enjoyable but don't expect to get anything out of it. Other than the joy of looking. yech.

By the way, if you don't want to be gawked at and ogled by strange men, do not attend a sporting event without a bra. Even if it's +35 and you're roasting and otherwise appropriately covered. Extreme rudeness will abound, even if you are with your boyfriend/husband at the time.

Cassandra said...

this is much better than what I got the other day...
"Yo, Yo"
me: no answer, keeps walking
"Yo, I'm talking to you!"
me:(thinking) is this guy really serious? is this really going to make me offer up my details? come on now
"Yo.. ha ha."

boys....do something witty and smooth. don't treat me like I am a piece of meat off the street. thank you.

Maxine said...

I always wondered what men hope to achieve when yelling/honking/whistling at random girls on the street.

PS - you might not want to visit Fargo if you don't like being catcalled...that seems to happen to a lot when I was there with some friends :P