currently listening to MuteMath's new CD "Armistice"


Friday, March 20, 2009

It's not that hard...

So remember my post last week about yet another torturous round of "let's verbally massacre Julia's sense of self-confidence by continuously judging her non-married state at the ripe old age of 22"? (If not, click here.) Ya, that's right, the one where Lena so disdainfully and patronizingly informed me that "it's not that hard" to find a husband. Direct quote, btw. Anyways, it turns out she was right and I was wrong.


Hahahaha.





Now I'm guessing my mom just had a mini heart attack as she envisions some gorgeous German millionaire swept me off my feet last week and we ran off to elope in Dubai. World's largest shopping mall, DUH!!!! I mean, I didn't blog yesterday, so anything could have happened in the last 24 hours, right? Well put the defibrillator back down, mom, I'm neither pregnant, nor married, nor anything else that involves the opposite sex. I'm talking about 6 year old Elisabeth and half-a-head-shorter Eric. Apparently in the last week of my absence at the Tausendfuehler kindergarten some serious romancin' has been going on. So all of you parents with toddlers, read this carefully and get your husbands to load the shotguns.

I was sitting on the floor of the "gym area" behind the kids while Elke (one of the daycare ladies) was explaining their next game to them. From my very advantageous position I could see everything that poor Elke could not. And I almost choked on my apple slice (yay for snack time!) when I noticed that Elisabeth and Eric were holding hands! As in, they were holding each other's hands conveniently BEHIND their backs so that Elke couldn't see. It was hilarious. And, like, they were stroking each other's fingers and stuff. Not just innocently hand in hand. It was so ... strange. Almost adult-like but with mini-hands. Creeped me right out. But then at one point in all the chaos and tumult of game time Elisabeth kissed Eric on the cheek, then GRABBED HIS HEAD WITH BOTH HANDS AND STARTED TRYING TO KISS HIM ON THE MOUTH. LIKE, NOT JUST A PECK. I'M TALKING TRIED TO HAVE A MINI-MAKEOUT SESSION. DID I MENTION THESE KIDS ARE SIX YEARS OLD?????? What the??? I would like to ask their parents exactly what TV channel they have on in the afternoons. I'm pretty certain Kimpossible doesn't show little cartoon makeout sessions. Soap operas maybe???

Anywho, after that I was officially creeped out but had to admit that apparently Lena is right. If even little six year old pests who still occasionally forget their own last names, wear spiderman underwear, and are still unable to pour iced tea into a plastic cup with a diameter the size of Hudson Bay are able to find true love then who am I to argue? Obviously IT JUST ISN'T THAT HARD

...


Final thoughts for the day. For those of you who didn't already know this, in German you can address people in two different ways the "du-form", which means you are either familiar with this person or are of approximately the same age, or the "Sie-form", which is the polite form. It's like in French. At some point the person you are using the polite form with might say "you can "du" me" (dirty pun intended... :P couldn't help myself...I'm as bad as the seventh graders...), meaning you no longer use the polite address when talking to this person.

Now, as a kid I never really paid much attention to these different forms. When you're so young you say "Sie" to pretty much anyone tall enough to see over store countertops, hence you just don't have to worry about remembering with whom you are already on "familiar" terms with. But now I find myself struggling to remember whom I can all say "du" to. And then when I do use that form with teachers at the school who have "given me permission" to do this I find myself wondering the next week whether they will REMEMBER that they gave me permission and might now find me impertinent or even insulting for sayng "du" to them. Or then there are those cases where we have agreed to "du" one another (hee hee...ok, so I'll stop being immature now...) but for some reason a subconscious "Sie" slips out of my mouth instead of a "du" and then I think that they probably think we never had that little conversation about "du-ing" one another so I'm too scared to go back to using "du", again not wanting to seem impertinent or insulting for assuming I can call them "du".

I'm not sure if you could follow that. But anyways, it's very distressing. Mainly cuz it's really important here to not mix up your Sie's and du's. I'm too Canadian for this crap. I'm used to simplicity, informal...ness, and relaxed...ness. If those last two are words. When I first got here this year I didn't want to call anyone "du" cuz I was so used to the "Sie" of my childhood. But people looked at me funny if they gave me their permission to "du" them and I didn't take them up on it. So now I have to deal with it. And it's stressful.

Sigh.

Ok, I'm done being melo-dramatic for today.

Oh, one last thing. Dad, you always told me that a sentence in English should NEVER EVER end with a preposition. The English books out here TEACH THE STUDENTS THAT ENGLISH SENTENCES SHOULD END WITH A PREPOSITION. My faith in your omniscience has been shaken to the core. Please restore my trust and tell me that you are right and these English books are wrong. Or that the grammar rules have officially changed since you were last in high school.

Seriously.

No comments: