currently listening to MuteMath's new CD "Armistice"


Sunday, March 1, 2009

Laughing Matters...

... is the name of a book by Canadian Christian comedian, Phil Callaway, that my mom brought along to Germany and left for me to read. I randomly started it out of boredom and am now actually really thankful I read it. I think it was His answer to some of my questions. :) He chooses the most interesting and often unexpected ways to answer us, doesn't He?

Anyways, one paragraph stood out to me in particular and made me think of my brother, Tim. My wonderful irreplaceable brother who always seems to stuff his life with responsibilities to the point of busting. At least, normal people would bust. He's studying to become a doctor, working practically full-time as a paramedic, is a newlywed, and is still finishing building a house. He rarely takes time for himself. He is one of the most generous and least selfish persons I know and I have taken it upon myself as his caring bratty little sister to every so often remind him that a stress-related embollism might not be the best career move right now. But as I was typing out the passage from Phil Callaway's book I realized that it was actually a good reminder for all of us. I wish I had read it while I was still in Canada, where countless days went by during which I think I forgot to inhale and exhale regularly. As many of you know, this year in Germany was partly for experience' sake, partly for interest's sake, and partly for RELAXATION' sake. Yet now that I suddenly had the TIME to take it easy, maybe sit on the couch and read a book from cover to cover, watch 3 movies in a row, or simply SLEEP, I found feelings of guilt creeping up inside of me.

The following paragraph cured me. :)

"Next time you drop your Palm Pilot in the breadmaker, remember that it could be a sign you need to slow down. A man sent his psychiatrist a postcard that read: "Am having a great time on vacation. Wish you were here to tell me why." While reading the story of Jesus, I discovered that He often took a break. No one in history accomplished more, yet He did so without acquiring an ulcer. Where did we get the notion that relaxation is selfish? The truth is, there is nothing productive about a coronary. There is nothing spiritual about a nervous breakdown. Rest allows us to
recharge our batteries and reorganize our priorities. In fact, rest is Christlike. So learn to say no. It is much more useful than learning to speak Latin."

I concur.

2 comments:

Jordan said...

Hmm, yes it seems these pieces of advice come from the places we least expect. Slowing down is a message we certainly need to hear more often. C. S. Lewis called it "coming in out of the wind" of everyday life and listening to that still small voice. It's a fine line we're supposed to walk between laziness and excessive business. It's been on my mind in this season of Lent. Thanks for the reminder to take a breather.

Anonymous said...

I concur as well.