currently listening to MuteMath's new CD "Armistice"


Thursday, March 12, 2009

Hopefully tact comes with age...

I don't think I've ever been insulted so many times in one day.

Today was my second adventure with the Tausendfuehler kindergarteners where I have been hired to speak ONLY English with the kiddies. The older ones that I played with last week were at a book fair today so I hung out with the 3-5 year olds for 6 hours. I was accused of many things. One of the 3 year olds (Nina) doesn't speak yet, and a 5 year old, Julius, decided it was his job to inform me of that, since I might not be able to figure it out all on my own. :P He then paused for a few seconds and added "but then again you can't speak either, right?" Ya. Um. Thanks. The good thing is I can defend myself as heatedly and long-windedly as I like...in English. So I gave him a piece of my mind in a friendly sing-song voice with a smile on my face.

I was not meant to become a pre-school teacher.

Lol. I was also told that I have a weird name (a "j" sounds like a "y" in German, so if I say Julia the way we say it in English I first get very strange looks and then they all run off yelling my name as if it was the funniest joke they've heard in months.) I mean, how degrading is it to be patronized by children that barely come up to your knees and leave out the numbers 4,5, and 9 when counting up to 10? Seriously, they'll ask me something, I'll answer in English, they look at me like parents look at their children when they say something completely childish and illogical, then pat me on the hand, turn to their friends and say "she can't speak properly yet." And the icing on the cake was when Hannah insisted I couldn't even speak English properly! (Who knows...after 7.5 months in Germany, she could be right...)

But the real kicker...the absolute tip of the iceberg, was a little conversation I had with Hannah, Coralee, Elli, and Lena in the sandbox. Coralee asked me if I have a husband. I said "no". Hannah asked me if I am looking for one. I was a little stunned but how do you relate, using only your hands and feet, "Actually, Hannah, I am a content, confident, independent young woman who does not need a man to complete or fulfill her ... or at least that's what I recite to myself every morning when I wake up in my quiet little apartment." Trust me, it's even harder than it sounds. So finally I just nodded my head and said "yes." I mean, despite my serious relationship phobia and previous anti-marriage rants on this blog, I still have this slight, fading glimmer of hope that one day I just might find some guy ignorant enough to propose. :P Anyways, about 5 seconds after I had responded with my meek little "yes" Lena turns to me (and keep in mind I had just met this girl about 2 minutes earlier) and says "well, it's not that hard!"

You're killing me, kid! I mean, single girls are hard enough on THEMSELVES. The last thing they need is OTHER people reminding them how pathetic they are. AND THEN TO HAVE A 4 YEAR OLD RUB IT IN! FOR THE SECOND WEEK IN A ROW! (see here if you don't know what I'm talking about) Now come on! That's just unnecessary!


Ok, but all complaining aside. Today was SO MUCH FUN! I had an absolute blast with those kids. And again they stuck to me like bugs on fly paper. I will probably contract some new cold virus every single Thursday when I'm there, but it's so worth it. After they got over the weirdness of "how I talk" (read: after I refused to respond to their pleas to "speak like a normal person") they couldn't get enough of me. We sang songs, played ring around the rosie ... over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over ... well, you get the idea. Anyways, it's amazing how quickly 6 hours can go by. :) What I love about such young kids is that there is still no concept of what is "cool" or "loserish". Weight, clothing, even smell! don't matter to these little munchkins. Speech impediments aren't even noticed (as long as you SPEAK THE RIGHT LANGUAGE, that is...). No one cares whether your hair is combed or whether you have the latest Dora the Explorer slippers. As long as you're up for a good game of tag or always have a funny song on hand you're good. And I like that. I never get tired of singing. :) :)


P.S. To all you mamas, aunts, grandmas, uncles, grandpas, fathers...or just anyone who is frequently around kids ... or remembers their childhood incredibly well: if you happen to know any fun songs (with actions are good) and games, please let me know in the comments box or send me a mail at jdhiebertAThotmailDOTcom. If you have a good game make sure it's something easy to explain in English. :) I already have some of the basic songs that I remember (bah bah black sheep, old mcdonald, bingo was his name-o, itsy bitsy spider, etc. But any further ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, good games. Duck, duck, goose comes to mind. John & Mason's favourite song right now is "everybody is kung fu fighting" thanks to Kung Fu Panda.
What about the hokey pokey? Or head & shoulders, knees & toes...
Teaching the names of body parts (appropriate ones)...lol.
Farmer in the dell?
I should be better than this... I have 2 preschoolers. I know. I'll find their Little People CD tomorrow and e-mail you some more.
Love ya.

Anonymous said...

Why be hard on yourself about being single if you ask me this is the perfect time in your life to enjoy just worrying about you. Your time will come where you have a husband to nag and children to look after now just enjoy buying the cute pair of shoes for yourself because you WANT to and don't have to worry about mortgage, mouths to feed etc.

JuliaD said...

thanks trin. good perspective. i totally agree with you, but you have to admit ... it definitely is a little strange having 5 year olds question your unmarried state. haha. but you're right. i do love shoes...

Unknown said...

Julia, when Shelly got engaged I had SEVERAL people ask me why I wasn't getting married too.

Seriously.

Not just one, but several.

I believe I also had at least one person sympathetically ask me how I was handling her getting married first.

Ummmm....fine??? Am I that insecure???

People are ridiculous. At least the ones harassing you are children.

Roo said...

my favorite...
shiloh's favorite....
THE PEOPLE ON THE BUS! with the actions. have you heard it? THE BEST.

Anonymous said...

BTW, keep in mind that those little children don't realize that you're only 22. To them you are ancient and all ancient people should be married! lol

JuliaD said...

oh i know already! lol. it's not like i'm about to jump off a bridge cuz of this. i know they have no way of realizing that 22 isn't old, etc. i just find it incredibly hilarious.

Cassandra said...

Funnest game ever played with young kids at roseau river. we taped suckers on us with duct tape and hid. The kids had to go find the cabin leaders and rip the suckers off their bodies....

if only you knew micheal dueck you would be rolling on the floor laughing.
beware of sugar response