currently listening to MuteMath's new CD "Armistice"


Sunday, March 29, 2009

Final Countdown

I was watching tv the other night before aerobics class. Music videos, to be exact. It was the top 100 Hits to come out of Scandinavian countries. (Strange, I know.)



For the first time in my life I saw Europe's music video for "Final Countdown". I had never actually heard the song with the lyrics and stuff before. Only that funny little synthesizer do-dooo....do-d-d-do-dooooo... thing (you know what I mean ... but if my doo-doooos weren't enough of a description for you 80s-ignoramuses, watch this) in movies and on tv shows...usually used to parody things, not as a serious piece of music. Well anyways, I saw the music video.



And now I feel the time has come for me to once and for all make up my mind on the age-old question that has been plaguing philosophers and academics worldwide for the past 2 decades: Were the 80s the best thing that ever happened to mankind? Or were these teased-hair, gold-spandex-encased, shoulder-padded, neon-flashing, power-ballad years a major contributor to this planet's slide into moral decline and a general state of insanity, that can be directly traced back to the Fall of Man in the garden of Eden???




So after much deliberation and fist-under-chin pensive posing the gavel has fallen. And I think most of you know my answer to this one. I'm curious to see how well you know me after 10 months of blogging so tell me in the talkbacks what you think my final decision is.



Whoever guesses correctly wins the Julia-thinks-your-cool Award. (And yes that is meant as an incentive and an honour...)

3 comments:

Jordan said...

Well, I waited a day and nobody else has commented. You already know how I feel about the '80s, but you asked so here I go: I think that if it wasn't for the fact that myself and many of my good friends (including you!) were born in that decade, the '80s would be a total write-off. Even the coolness of Mr. T pales in comparison to all the awful music.

Sorry, I guess I won't win the award. :)

bria erskine said...

I think we need to look back and thank all who developed, and contributed to, 80's fashion/music/over-the-topness. While we may not wear shoulder pads in the same way (ever again), much of our fashions today are 80's inspired looks with a modern twist. I personally raise my glass (cup of tea) to all that was and is 80's and offer it a cheery 'Thank You'....and I'm positive that you would join me in that:)

Miriam said...

I think the 80s were awesome. Every decade has things to look back at and cringe over - beehive hairdo? poodle skirts and saddle shoes? 70s clothing fabrics that look like upholstery? shag carpet? Godfather movies? 90s spandex and neon? overalls with one strap undone? shaved hair around the sides and back with 3 inches of hair on top? MC Hammer & Vanilla Ice? Come on. Even the present decade has awful styles, music, movies, or whatever other classification you want to reference.
By the way, Jule, I know you like REO Speedwagon - check out Honeymoon Suite sometime (if you're not familiar with them already).
Love you.