currently listening to MuteMath's new CD "Armistice"


Sunday, November 23, 2008

Where I go You'll find Snow

So it seems that I cause snowfall. I mean, seriously; apparently last year there was no snow. But it's only November and we've had snow on the ground for 2 whole days! Ok, well, I'm not sure about where I live, Eilenburg. But here in Ellefeld, anyways, there's no lack of the fluffy goodness (that isn't so fluffy, cuz it's, like, BARELY under 0 degrees so the snow falls heavy and thick).





6am in Ellefeld

Eilenburg is usually quite a bit warmer and snow here in Ellefeld doesn't mean snow in Eilenburg. THANK THE LORD cuz I am still at the mercy of my trusty old bicycle when it comes to getting around at home.

I wonder if German parents have to remind themselves to teach their children of the hazards of yellow snow, seeing as how frozen H2O isn't really a regular occurance in this lovely country anymore... Hmmm. Maybe that should become part of the curriculum...

So anyways, it's been a beautiful weekend. It's just cold enough to keep the snow on the ground, but not cold enough to make you draw tirelessly on your curse-words-vocab-reserves. I've been wearing mittens, but that's mainly because I love mittens. I would wear them all year round if it didn't cause everyone to give me that "oh you poor mentally handicapped girl" look. You know the one...

No? Just me? Well, I get it a lot, I can tell you! I'm starting to get used to it. Maybe by next summer I won't even notice it anymore and I can wear my mittens in August. Yay!

Ok, rabbit trails galore! Focus, Julia.

Well, just a quick weekend report. On Friday I got to Ellefeld around 6pm after a wonderfully relaxing train ride to Zwickau where my friend Claudia picked me up. I basically dropped my bags in my room at Maedlers and then walked over to Christina's house where I spent the evening eating schnitzel and smoking cigarellos. Have I mentioned, by the way, how CHEAP tabacco is in this country? No wonder every other freaking German smokes! I mean, seriously. Less than 3 euros for a 10-pack of cigars! Ridic, I'm tellin' ya. If it didn't, you know, cause cancer...I would totally become a smoker in Germany.

Anywho, yesterday Nancy and I spent the day baking again. Only 7 hours this time, but still impressive. I made gingersnaps, spice cake cupcakes, peanut clusters, and grandma's creme cookies. And once again not one thing went wrong! Like, everything tastes amazing! I am a freaking genius.





Then Claudia came over. Makeover time! lol. She really wanted me to shape her eyebrows and do her makeup (I can hear my few male blog readers groaning in boredom). And I did it all while drinking schnaps.

What can I say...I'm a gifted girl! Everytime I finished my drink a full shot glass materialized out of nowhere! Well, ok, Juergen made it materialize. But it would be impolite to decline... :D Anyways, the eyebrows are symmetrical ... and well-shaped, so obviously it's all good and I am still a genius.


And since we looked so darn purdy we couldn't waste it on an evening at home hence supper and a movie were in order. Seeing as how both of us are hopelessly single we have to be satisfied with girl-dinner-and-a-movie dates. We went Turkish. Best food ever. Although all the employees (always all-male at Turkish restaurants for some reason...) were a little creepy. They kept staring at us. But on the upside I FINALLY got to watch "Burn After Reading", which I have been waiting to see for half a year. It was HILARIOUS but I need need need to see it in English as soon as possible. I mean, if I was laughing throughout the whole thing DUBBED IN GERMAN, can you imagine how hilarious I would find it in English?

And ya. That's about it. It's Sunday morning right now. The church bells are ringing and snow is lightly falling. And I'm in a heated house for approximately 7 more hours. Reasons to rejoice.

Hope you all had a great weekend.

________

It's official...snow exists because I exist. I got to Eilenburg last night around 9:30pm and there was no snow. I woke up this morning to find my street blanketed in white. So snow. hm.
To see more pics of the weekend skip to the new pics:

5 comments:

Cassandra said...

this baking thing is starting to scare me..
i remember the days when throwing corn in everything was mandatory...
is that still a rule?

JuliaD said...

it is in canada but i haven't used corn once yet in germany! lol. keeping costs to a minimum, remember? :P

Roo said...

those photos at the top are beautiful.

baking! i need to start that...i'm sure little miss u know who will be happy to help me. :)

Jordan said...

You have more snow there in Germany than we do here in the 'ville! I wish it would start snowing soon, cold weather is no fun without it.

If you get too much snow to bike to school you could always try a toboggan.

JuliaD said...

true. i do live on a giant hill. the only problem is the next 10 minutes of flat land that i have to cross to get to school. lol.

and i really don't mind biking in the snow. it's still nice and warm, so it's actually kind of fun. plus there's no 3 inch layer of ice underneath like in canada. lol.

and thanks ruth! i love those pics, too. :)