currently listening to MuteMath's new CD "Armistice"


Thursday, October 9, 2008

It's far too early to be stringing words together in complete sentences....

Good morning! Well, I got up around 7:30 am today, even though I only have to be at school at 11:35am, because I have a lot of things to get done before the weekend. One of the things was to write a blog entry, which I thought I'd cross off my list right away. Plus I'm cold and I'm able to blog covered in blankets...a luxury that cleaning your bathroom doesn't allow. And who really wants to clean their bathroom at 7:30am anyways?
Anywho, the reason that I actually have "blogging" on my to-do list for today (literally....it's written down in my day planner....) is because I'm leaving for the weekend after school and I doubt I'll be blogging for the next few days. I'm taking the bus to Leipzig where my friend Franziska lives and staying with her for the night. In the morning we're driving to Ellefeld (where I used to live) and I'll be spending the weekend visiting people again. And FINALLY on Sunday night I'm going to the Dresdener Semperoper (aka. the opera) with Jürgen and Nancy. And it only took me about 10 minutes yesterday to figure out which shoes I'm going to wear with my new dress! That's a new personal best!

So for today's blog I really just have a couple of utterly random thoughts.
First of all, I was at the dentist's yesterday. (That's not my random thought. I'm just leading up to it...) Anyways, I was at the dentist's to get a little diamond coloured gem affixed to my tooth (have not been able to take a good pic yet...sorry rebekah m). I had never seen that before I came to Germany (although Bri told me she saw it a lot in Australia) and I think they're super cute. And since I'm not really into piercings, seeing as how I'm going to be a teacher one day, I thought this would be my substitution. :) Anyways, the point that I wanted to make was that when I sat down in the dentist's chair yesterday and turned my face to the ceiling I was pleasantly surprised by a giant painting hanging right above me! That was such a neat idea! Something to look at and concentrate on while a stranger awkwardly hovered over my face and pushed my lips around into obviously unflattering positions. Now I've never had the common dislike for the dentist because I go to my uncle's office in Morden. I've had the same dental hygenist for the past 3 or 4 years; and obviously I'm not afraid of my uncle. :) I think pulling out my wisdom teeth took a grand total of 5 minutes. But I still thought that art on the ceiling idea was pretty cool. Something I'd never seen before.

Second random thought. I love doing laundry. I look forward to laundry day.

Third random thought. I watched "Gone with the Wind" for the first time ever yesterday. I officially hate Scarlett O'Hara. She is the least dignified woman to walk the face of the literary planet. I find her disgusting and obnoxious. And nothing anyone says will ever convince me otherwise. I would have said "I don't give a damn" to her much earlier than Rhett Butler...and possibly a few other choice words.

Last random-ness. I've been reading "Women in Love" by D.H. Lawrence, written in 1916. I had no idea that authors in the early 1900s could be so bold and blunt, especially about sexual imagery! lol. But that's not the point. I just found a few quotes that I found absolutely hilarious. I have a very dry, British-oriented sense of humour, so if you don't find this amusing...sorry.


"There was a pause of strange enmity between the two men, that was very near to
love. It was always the same between them; always their talk brought them
into a deadly nearness of contact, a strange, perilous intimacy which was either
hate or love, or both. They parted with apparent unconcern, as if their
going apart were a trivial occurrence. And they really kept it to the
level of trivial occurrence. Yet the heart of each burned from the
other. They burned with each other, inwardly. This they would never
admit. They intended to keep their relationship a casual free-and-easy
friendship, they were not going to be so unmanly and unnatural as to allow any heart-burning between them. They had not the faintest belief in deep
relationship between men and men, and their disbelief prevented any development of their powerful but suppressed friendliness."

There is something strangely comforting in the fact that men have been the same for centuries, isn't there? Hee-hee!!!


"Birkin watched him {Gerald} narrowly. He saw the perfect good-humoured
callousness, even strange, glistening malice, in Gerald, glistening through the
plausible ethics of productivity.

'Gerald,' he said, 'I rather hate you.'

'I know you do,' said Gerald. 'Why do you?' "


Awesome.


" 'Then wherein does the world centre, for you?'

'I don't know - that's what I want somebody to tell me. As far as I
can make out, it doesn't centre at all. It is artificially held together by the
social mechanism.'

Birkin pondered as if he would crack something.

'I know,' he said, 'it just doesn't centre. The old ideals are dead
as nails - nothing there. It seems to me there remains only this perfect union with a woman - a sort of ultimate marriage - and there isn't anything else.'

'And you mean if there isn't the woman, there's nothing?' said
Gerald.

'Pretty well that - seeing there's no God.' "

l

So remember ladies, men have nothing without us. We've even replaced God! ???

4 comments:

Jordan said...

Wow, this is weird, I went to the dentist yesterday too. The hygenist kept asking me questions that I could not answer because of all the implements in my mouth, so I would have to wait until she suggested the right response then nod my head. Why do they ask you questions when they know you can't respond? And I think the painting is a great idea, I had to stare at ceiling tiles. Did you know that there are 178 holes in each 2 x 2 ceiling tile?

Unfortunately, the dentist was out of little diamonds for my teeth so I had to choose between spongebob and a skull and crossbones. I ended up getting one of each.

Hope you have a great time on your weekend adventure!

Anonymous said...

My OB has 3 pictures on her ceiling . . . never thought of it for above a dentist's chair but it's certainly nice in an OB exam room.

Ok, what exactly do you love about doing laundry? Maybe there's something I'm missing.

You're right - Scarlett is annoying. Although I still loved the book. The movie isn't nearly as good as the book.

Hope you have an awesome weekend! Guess you're probably not getting a turkey dinner, huh? Hopefully I do ;-)

Much love!

Anonymous said...

Apparently there's a children's dental centre in Wpg that has TVs above the chairs. And video games in the waiting room, and other cool "kid stuff" that most adults would totally appreciate too! How come kids get all the good stuff?

If you were doing laundry for a whole family instead of just your own, you probably wouldn't love it so much.

Scarlett is VERY annoying - but it's still a classic for good reason and I still like it. There are definitely times in the movie where I'd LOVE to smack her up side her head.

Love you! Have a great weekend.

Keanan said...

When we lived near Saskatoon, my dentist had small TVs mounted into the ceiling playing oldies like the Beverly Hillbillies, MASH and I Love Lucy (albeit muted so that kind of took away from it).

Last Thursday, when I went to the dentist, my hygenist was new, so she was very nervous and so she asked me SO many questions (like what I was doing for the weekend TWICE! WITH THE TOOLS IN MY MOUTH! How am I supposed to answer a non yes/no question with metal utensils poking my teeth?! And she asked me FOUR times if I wanted my mouth rinsed with water.)

Then she told me EVERYTHING she was going to do, step by step (I'm going to lower the chair now. I am now lowering the chair. The chair is now lowered.)

And is it just me or has anyone noticed how awkward it is in the chair trying to figure out where to look? I mean, I can't make eye contact with her, because then you're staring creepily, and then I try to just stare into the lamp, but then she moves around so my eyes are darting everywhere very shiftily.

Well, before I go into a full blown Dental rant, I better sign off. Besides, the buzzer just rang for class changes anyways (thanks for providing some enjoyment during the most boring Bio class of my life.)