currently listening to MuteMath's new CD "Armistice"


Monday, July 14, 2008

I'm having one of those weeks...

...where it seems that my words just aren't quite enough.  My last post was from Shakespeare's Hamlet and those few lines of poetry just seemed to say so much more than one of my 10-page papers could.  And then today I was listening to my iPod when Matthew Good's 21st Century came on.  I absolutely love that song, mainly due to the prologue portion that he narrates before the singing starts and continues half-way through the song.  It struck me the very first time I heard it and oddly enough, even though I own the CD (Avalanche) and have listened to this song more times than I can count, it never ceases to capture my attention.  So since I feel these days that my words are quite inadequate (unless compared to those of Henry James, who I still think is a bit looney and you can read about my opinion of him in this previous post), and I'm feeling the need to post something a little less comical for a change of pace, I will just copy Matthew Good's thoughts here for your own reflection, minus one or two of his trademark obscenities.  :)  (And it took me a while to play each phrase and pause to  type all his words into this blog; just so you know how much work I did. lol)  Just imagine music playing softly in the background.  haha.

_______

"You know, today I was only asked one question, and one question only, you wanna know what that was?

'Do you want this supersized?'

You know, come to think of it, I'd like the whole world supersized.

Supersized planes.  Supersized satellites - think about how many more channels you could get with supersized satellites!  

Supersized sales.  How do you supersize a sale?  How about we supersize third-world death relief?  

Supersize love.  Supersize honesty.  Supersize government.  Come to think of it, actually nah, let's not supersize the government.

I'd like to supersize death.  Can I have a supersize of death?  I'd like a supersize of death with a Coke.  

You know what we need?  Some back-up singers, how about, like, a little jingle...kinda like that (remember, music is playing in the background) .  You know, let's supersize this song.  Really, that's the goal isn't it?  If we can supersize the record, we'll sell more records, it's a supersized record.  That is, after all, our ambition."

_________

It's a very cryptic and facetious, but heartfelt, statement about everything from society's rampant consumerism to Matthew Good's own personal perceptions of government and politics.  Halfway through the song the monologue continues...

________

"Ambition, ambition's a tricky thing.  It's like riding a unicycle on a dental floss tightrope over a wilderness of razor blades.  Ambition can backfire.  Ambition means more.  Ambition means faster.  Ambition means better.  I wonder if you can supersize...can you supersize ambition?  Does that make you ambitious, if you supersize ambition?  

Around here our ambition hurts more than it helps.  See, around here our ambition throws a non-perishable item in the donation bin at Christmas and pats itself on the back because it thinks it's done something decent.  Ya, we're supersizing ambition, make no mistake about it.  

Ambition will televise the revolution.  And it'll sell more commercial spots in the Super Bowl, the Olympics, and the World Series combined. 

We're supersizing.  We're supersizing the record.  Cuz we're ambitious."

__________

Makes you think, hey?  Are fries supposed to be the only things we're supersizing?

2 comments:

bria erskine said...

i often feel like my words aren't ammounting to much of anything. it's during those times that i can grasp the full depth of other peoples words. when i quiet myself, or find that i'm already quiet, i can actually hear other people. the feeling can be horribly annoying and life saving at the same time. cheers. (love ya and miss ya already.)

Jordan said...

Good post, Julia. That is an interesting song, isn't it? I espiecially like the part about consumerism. After spending a few days being a tourist in Seattle, I am glad to be back home where someone isn't always trying to sell me something I don't want or need every time I turn around. It's just incredible how many ads and product suggestions we are bombarded with everyday.

Some of my favourite Matthew Good lyrics are off of the album Underdogs. "Middle Class Gangsters" is sort of my secret Matthew Good theme song :)