currently listening to MuteMath's new CD "Armistice"


Monday, July 7, 2008

The little Hop

Disclaimer: this note isn't really a funny one, just kind of a sappy ode to my parents and letting you know that I'm still alive and kicking. There is LIFE outside of Manitoba. Who woulda thunk? :)


Just a quick note to let you know that Rebekah, Jaden, and I made it to Ottawa only a little the worse for wear...you know, having to get up at 4am for a 2.5 hour flight isn't exactly my idea of "a good time" but whatevs. It's the stupid airline's fault for changing our flights.
But I digress. Anyways, so we're here and it's been nice so far. We unpacked our bags and then went outside. It is GORGEOUS in Ottawa right now. Like, it was so hot and sunny yesterday. Rebekah and I weeded for a while (her flowers were in desperate need after her three-week absence) and Craig mowed the lawn. Then once we were all hot and sweaty we decided to jump in the POOL. Ah, the joys of having a pool in one's backyard! It was awesome. I took Jaden in for a bit but then when she wanted out I realized that I forgot how much I love swimming and diving. Let me just remind you that I'VE BEEN WORKING AT A POOL FOR THE PAST TWO YEARS. Go figure. It was awesome though. I'm definitely going to take advantage of that dang pool!
So ya, that's about all that has happened...oh, except Craig made some REALLY good bbq chicken for burgers. Mmmmm. Chicken. It's strange, cuz I thought I'd be feeling way more mixed emotions about having actually moved away from home for the first time. Maybe it's still coming because I know that I'm not leaving for Germany til August, but still....I mean, it was hard saying goodbye to everyone: Miriam, Pamela, Bria, Zoe...and especially mom and dad at the airport because it kind of hit home that I now have to figure stuff out on my own. Usually I ask either mom or dad about anything that I am unsure of (sorry about that preposition at the end of the sentence, dad). And when dad said he was going to miss me I almost lost it.
I'm such a daddy's girl, always have been, and I hate the thought of making him feel anything that I wouldn't want him to have to feel. Strange concept, I know, but it might be something that only a daddy's girl could understand.
Plus I felt bad cuz I'm the last one leaving home. I mean, my siblings could at least comfort themselves by saying "well, the younger siblings are still at home." But I can't use that line. And I know mom is going to miss my trademark snarky sarcasm. :) Plus when dad is gone for three months again this winter she'll be all by herself and that makes me feel sad, too. I'm such a SUCK! lol. I'll quit boring you with the sap.
Plus I'm definitely a little freaked to travel by myself. I know it seems dumb, especially coming from a 21-year-old, but in general I don't like to do things alone. I always find everything so much easier when I have someone to consult with...or pretend I'm not lost with (again, apologies about the ending prepositions). :) But this'll be good for me. As long as I don't, you know, get lost or something. Board a flight to the Antarctica. Hmmmm. Now that could be interesting. Except that I sent my winter coats along to Germany with Maike already.

But I was saying to Rebekah that I don't have that weird nervous feeling I usually get when something changes. And I'm making some pretty huge changes right now. (I know that most people are pretty surprised when I talk about how I can get super nervous about things, because I don't usually show it, but it can be pretty debilitating at times....) Strangely enough, I feel way more confident than I thought I would. But then again, that could all change yet. :) Things will really start to get crazy scary in a month...with zee chermins (aka. the germans).

see how crazy they are?


But the little hop out of Manitoba is done. The breakaway. The giant leap over the pond still awaits...I have to go workout now. Til next time. Keep fit and have fun! I will miss Body Break commercials... Sigh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Almost started crying reading your post.
Love you and miss you Jules!
-REB

Anonymous said...

you will be missed.

Anonymous said...

you will be missed.