currently listening to MuteMath's new CD "Armistice"


Monday, June 9, 2008

It's a good day??

I'm BACK! So soon, you ask. Well, I'm bored. So yes.

Anyway, I just wanted to relate to you the day I've had. Now, it's only 12:50pm and I'm already questioning the "purpose" of this particular day. It started off with a bang...well, more like a ring. A telephone ring, to be exact. Yep, I slept through my alarm. Now, you don't understand how frustrating this is for me unless you know that a) I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE being late for ANYTHING. I am always early!!! and b) I prided myself on having never been late for work in the just-under-2-years that I've been working at the Aquatic Centre. Heck, I've never even taken a sick day. So anyways, I am one of those persons who gets really nervous and paranoid about the strangest stuff. Well, I have slept through my alarm before. That was back when i worked at Tim Hortons. So I know that it CAN happen to me. Anyways, so ever since that experience I am really paranoid about not being on time for work. I get so paranoid about it that I often don't sleep really well the night before a 6:15am shift, just cuz I can't stop thinking about how I CANNOT sleep through my alarm. I know, I'm a whacko, but that should come as no surprise to anyone. So anywho, at 6:30 our telephone rang. I immediately sat up in bed, looked up at the clock and booked it out of my bedroom. I KNEW it was Charissa asking my dad whether I was at home or on my way to work, for which I was now already 15 minutes LATE. I threw on some random shorts and shirt off my floor and made a mad dash for the front door. Frick I was mad. Thankfully there was good music in my CD player on the way to work, but still. I was 45 minutes LATE. ME!!! Ah. And of course this had to happen 2 weeks before I'm done work. Apparently I'm not allowed to have a perfect record.

Ok, so that happened and "I got over it". Although it's still annoying me. And then I was at work, minding my own business at my desk when I looked at the phone beside my computer and came face-to-face with a spider. I'm just gonna put this out there...I HATE SPIDERS. Anything with 8 legs is capable of scuttling (isn't that a gross word?) waaaaaay too fast in my direction. Plus they are just ugly. Now, I kill bugs and spiders on, oh, I'd say...a bi-daily basis...in my basement. Where I live! Ew. But I should be used to it, right? For some reason this spider just GROSSED ME OUT. I think for two reasons. First of all it wasn't on my floor where I could just stomp on it approximately 177,539 times and then scrape it off the bottom of my sandal. No, it was invading an area far to close to my head...the phone. EW. And the second reason is that it...I know you're going to think I'm crazy...but it looked like a teenage spider. Like, it was all plump and juicy and had long gangly legs that looked too long even for a spider. It just looked really young. And that just made it seem like it could run at me that much faster and made me picture what it might look like if it was an adult. HUGE. So there I was, just saying

"ew ew ew ew ew. there's a spider on my phone. ew ew ew ew ew. there's a spider on my phone"

while my boss and the lady who had just come in for aquacise class were standing there laughing at me. I just kept waving my hands in the air, continuously expressing my disgust, quite vocally I might add, when all of a sudden the nice aquacise lady came over with a tissue and squished it for me. I felt pretty lame, but it was just gross. So the aqaucise lady saved the day and I went on making my posters for work. That's the story.

So as you can tell, I haven't had the most fabulous start to my day, but I'm going out for dinner with Rebekah Hiebert and Melodie Armbruster, which I'm sure will make everything better. Unless I get into a car accident, crash through a building's display window, and inexplicably burst into flames on the way there.




I hope you have a better day than me, folks!


5 comments:

bria erskine said...

and you had to go ahead a post a picture of one...gross. i may not return to this blog.

Anonymous said...

O MY GOSH JULIA. i never want to see that thing again. remove it i say!

JuliaD said...

sorry, ladies, it shall not be removed. i needed to make sure everyone felt my horror...makes the story a little less lame. ok, maybe not, but in my head it does. :P

and bri...you know you can't stay away... xoxo

Jordan said...

I love that spider story, it made me laugh. Although, speaking as a male, I must admit that I do not entirely understand girls' fear of spiders. As Jerry Seinfeld said, how can women pour boiling hot wax on their legs, rip the hair out by the root, and still be afraid of a spider? I guess there are some mysteries that will never bridge the gender chasm.

Don't worry about being late for work - you are probably still waaay more punctual than anybody else who works there so it's all good.

naomi said...

Julia you are crazy!!! You haven't even left home and your blog is full of insane events. :) Can't wait for Germany!

PS it is so funny that you were late 2 weeks before you were done! i think it was meant to be...you can't have a perfect record...it just wouldn't be fair for the rest of us. :)