currently listening to MuteMath's new CD "Armistice"


Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Sometimes I wish I were a boy...

...Ok, not to sound creepy or like I'm going through some kind of twisted identity crisis or anything, but really, on very rare occasions I do wish that I were a boy. Today I went to go see the movie Stop Loss ...

Oh, the intensity!!!

... and it just reaffirmed my long-standing jealousy towards the male method of dealing with conflict. I mean, honestly. When guys have a beef with one another, they just duke it out by either yelling or punching the tar out of one another and it's done.

There's no silent treatment, cutting him out of the "group", spreading
vicious rumours about having been born a hermaphrodite, or creating catty internet myspace pages started to ensure he'll never EVER get a girlfriend.

It's just upfront and plain. If they STILL can't stand each other after the fight, they just stay away from one another altogether and start up competing businesses or whatever. Like today, in the movie, the two best friends played by Ryan Phillippe and Channing Tatum (what the HECK were his parents thinking???) had this massive disagreement. They screamed at each other about disrespecting their beloved US of A and letting their "loved ones" (without using those exact words...I mean, heaven forbid a strapping young Texan says "loved ones". haha.) down, followed by another 5 minutes of all-out fist fighting in a cemetary beside the fresh grave of a close friend and fellow soldier while the grave digger was actually still piling on the dirt. Then, at the very end of the movie, Ryan Phillippe sits down beside Channing Tatum, who just kind of turns his head away. Ryan then nudges Channing with his shoulder and Channing looks at him, a corner of his mouth turns up (hardly even perceptible...the viewer more assumes it than sees it), and they just keep looking straight ahead - not even AT each other - just ahead ... with the manly half-but-not-really-smiling-so-as-not-to-appear-sensitive-or-capable-of-emotion smile of satisfaction about having their best friend back! Like, what is that???


Two girls, after an argument, would need 24 hours of serious girl talk, 18
boxes of extra-soft Kleenex, 12 gallons of ben&jerry's (followed by a week
of keeping one another accountable with compulsive cleanses,
detox's, and all-asparagus diets), a weekend of high-end shopping
in Minneaoplis, an intensive day at the spa with manis/pedis, and a
pinkie-swear/cross my heart to never fight again.

Why can't we just duke it out and be done with it? Why do girls have to drag it out...forever...and then still bring up the old grudge when convenient? She doesn't even have to say anything, she just has to lift the all-telling eyebrow to remind the other girl that she is still silently paying for whatever happened 3 trillion years ago that neither of them actually remembers anyways!!!
Sometimes, I just wish I were a boy.

But then again, I don't think I could convincingly justify my regular compulsive need to buy shoes...with heels.


just pretty!

my favourite shoes from the "Sex and the City" movie

my absolute favourite Chanel gladiators. sigh.

and even some that are a little bit..."out there"...

P.S. I do realize that I have grossly overemphasized these gender stereotypes. It's for comic ranting effect, so please don't attempt to satisfy the urge you're feeling to set me straight. Plus I really do think that some of these stereotypes are often true, maybe just more toned-down. Otherwise, where would the stereotypes have come from? Answer me that!! :) LOL

3 comments:

bria erskine said...

Ha! So true...love it. Every once in awhile I feel the same way. Guys seem to have an easier time with conflict. I get so irritated at myself for holding onto silly little things for so long. Or thinking that, at the time, it doesn't matter and then realizing 4years later that it's been bothering me since it happened. Yuck. Why do we have to be like that? Boxing was good for me, I got out so much angst(?) in such a short period of time. I should join again.

p.s. Nice shoes! One of the perks of being a girl!

Anonymous said...

holy crap. my feet hurt just looking at those heels.

JuliaD said...

the more your spine puts itself out of place to adjust to the heels, the less everything else hurts when you wear 'em. :) then you'll need to see your chiro more often than you already do! jk. :)