currently listening to MuteMath's new CD "Armistice"


Thursday, August 20, 2009

Mermaid Moments and Corn Strings

Written Friday, August 14th

So I went to Camp Arnes for Wednesday and Thursday with a veeeeeeeeery good friend of mine, Naomi, where her parents have a cabin right on the lake. It is now officially an annual tradition (right? after the 2nd year you can already label it a tradition, right?????). We'd already been planning it for practically a year. lol. I spent as much time as possible in the water. I don't need any toys (slides, diving boards, pool noodles...nothing...although dinghies are always a good time...why is the singular spelled 'dingy' and the plural spelled 'dinghies' with an 'h'???? so many questions...)...as I was saying tho, when I'm in the water I don't need any toys to keep me occupied, I don't need anyone to go in with me. I can just hang out in there all by myself. Brings back mermaid moments. I always used to pretend I was a mermaid when I was a kid. Especially that one summer I spent in Italy with my aunt and uncle...don't judge me...I was the only child there, so I had a lot of free time. And what better way to use said time than to pretend you are Ariel minus the clam shell bikini?? I would just dive for hours on end.

Made grilled corn on the cob for supper. After shucking them (is that what you call it? And is it an ear of corn? Or a head? I'm getting all confused...) there were corn strings EVERYWHERE for the rest of our stay. Officially dislike corn strings.


Wednesday evening we had decided to go skinny dipping once it got dark, because I was still a skinny-dipping-virgin and the cherry just had to be popped. (I have been on the brink of various skinny dipping ventures before, but we always ended up being far too sleepy to rouse up anything resembling the willpower to get naked and then cold...never mind at the same time.) Anywho, so we watched a movie after dinner and then headed outside. Only to find the sky alight with lightning. But I was so not ready to give up. or Put on clothes. or Deal with the disappointment and consequent comfort eating. :P So we figured the lightning was super far away anyways and we would brave it just for a little bit. So I got in there, chucked my towel onto the rocks, spent a grand ... oh, I'd say .... 20 seconds getting wet and then decided the lightning all along the horizon was just waaaaaaaaay too freaky. so we ran (as quickly as rocks slipperier than a lubed-up fish and a pitch black sky would allow) out, wrapped ourselves in our towels, and sat down on the stairs to watch the storm in the distance. Incredible lightning, unbelievable starry sky above us, and shooting stars! Lots of them. One of them was soooooooooo close to earth. I've never seen anything like it. And it was moving along the sky so slowly, with a super long tail trailing along behind it. Unbelievable.

But at least I can officially say I've been skinny dipping.

And then came Thursday morning. It was kinda chilly and cloudy outside but the waves were pretty sweet so I was determined to go for a swim. Which I did. And the waves kinda mauled me. I was laughing so hard tho that I had no control as to what the waves were doing to me, as you can see in the pic. Thanks A LOT Naomi. Good times tho.



Then, after about an hour and a half, we packed up all our crap to head back to the cabin. And the second we started walking away the sun came out. And beat down for the rest of the day. Typical. Anyways, after spending some time in Gimli for the afternoon we went back outside and I took one final swim. Divine.



I. Love. Lakes.

1 comment:

Miriam said...

Actually, the singular form of dinghies is also spelt with an "h". As in dinghy.

From Wikipedia - A dinghy is a type of small boat, often carried or towed by a larger vessel.

Sounds like a great time! :-)